April 14, 2021 4:04 PM
2021 Water Restrictions
STATE DECLARES DROUGHT FOR OUR REGION (NORTHEAST) ON April 9 2021
With precipitation, streamflow, and groundwater below normal as the state enters the spring season, Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA) Secretary Kathleen Theoharides declared a Level 2-Significant Drought in the Southeast Region of the Commonwealth, a Level 1-Mild Drought in the Western, CT River Valley, Central, Northeast, and Cape Cod Regions, and a Level 0-Normal Conditions in the Islands Region. Today’s declaration elevates the March 2021 declaration, which was a Level 1 in the Western Region of the Commonwealth, while all other regions of the state were in Normal Conditions
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY - DROUGHT DECLARED - OUTDOOR WATER USE RESTRICTIONS
Level 1 (Mild Drought) – NON Essential Outdoor Water Use is allowed ONE DAY per week before 9 a.m. and after 5 p.m.
Properties on the East Side of Boston Rd (the right side of RT 3-A when travelling North) are allowed to water on SATURDAYS ONLY before 9 a.m. and after 5 p.m.
Properties on the West side of Boston Rd (the left side of RT 3-A when travelling North) are allowed to water on SUNDAYS ONLY before 9 a.m. and after 5 p.m.
Nonessential outdoor water uses that ARE SUBJECT to mandatory restrictions include:
• Irrigation of lawns via sprinklers or automatic irrigation systems;
• Washing of vehicles, except in a commercial car wash or as necessary for operator safety;
• Washing of exterior building surfaces, parking lots, driveways or sidewalks, except as necessary to apply surface treatments such as paint, preservatives, stucco, pavement or cement.
Water uses NOT SUBJECT to mandatory restrictions are those required:
• for health or safety reasons;
• by regulation;
• for the production of food and fiber;
• for the maintenance of livestock; or
• to meet the core functions of a business(for example, irrigation by golf courses as necessary to maintain tees, greens, and limited fairway watering, or irrigation by plant nurseries as necessary to maintain stock).
Penalties and Fines for Violations of Water Restrictions - See Full Statement